Get a Car Seat Checked
We all want our children to travel safely in cars. Installing a car seat for younger children and babies can be a challenge. Good Fellowship can make sure your car seats are installed correctly and teach you how to use and install a car seat on your own. When you leave, you should be confident that your child’s seat is installed correctly and feel comfortable reinstalling it on your own. This may be the most important thing you learn.
Good Fellowship has several Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technicians available to assist you with ensure your child’s seat is installed correctly.
Call Us To Schedule An Appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org or (610) 431-3132
Here’s what you need to know about working with Good Fellowship to ensure your child’s car seat is installed correctly:
Before the Car Seat Checkup
Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS technician install the car seat. We’re trained to teach you.
All appointments must be scheduled. Appointment availability is based on the availability of our CPS technicians.If your child is already born, know your child’s weight and height, and bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
If your child is already born, know your child’s weight and height, and bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
Install the seat in your vehicle before your car seat checkup appointment. Be sure to use the instructions that came with the child car seat and the instructions in your vehicle owner’s manual regarding car seats.
Bring the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual with you to your appointment.
During the Car Seat Checkup
This one-on-one education typically takes 20-30 minutes, depending on your car seat and vehicle. The technician will take all the time you need until you feel comfortable that your car seat is used and installed correctly.During the checkup, a CPS Technician will:
During the checkup, a CPS Technician will:
- Fill out a form to note a variety of information, including the car seat type, location in vehicle and misuse observations, if any.
- Ensure that your car seat is appropriate for your child’s age, and size, and review factors affecting proper use.
- Review the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual to ensure that both are being followed correctly. (Remember to bring the vehicle owner’s manual with you.)
- Ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used.
- Check the car seat for recalls, visible damage and an expiration date.
- Watch you install the car seat(s) correctly using either the seat belt or LATCH system.
- Discuss the next steps for each child, such as when to graduate to the next type of car seat.
- Discuss the benefits of everyone riding properly buckled in, including all adults.
- Discuss safety in and around the vehicle.
- Answer any questions you may have, so ask away.
After the Car Seat Checkup
We consider a checkup success if you can answer yes to the following questions:Did you participate in the installation?
- Did you participate in the installation?
- Do you feel confident about installing and using the car seat correctly?
- Did we answer all your questions? If not, were you given another expert to contact or will the CPS technician follow up with you?
Special thanks to the Manufacturers Alliance for Child Passenger Safety for developing this checklist.